Are We Alone?

Are we alone? That’s the question National Geographic posed to its readers in the December 2009 issue. By the end of class today, you must post a response on the blog.

First, in your table group, discuss this question. Take notes in your geography/history journal.

Next read the National Geographic article in the December 2009 issue, “Are We Alone?” Check out all the graphics that go along with the article. Use the text to speech utility that I showed you last week. Wear your ear buds or headphones.

Remember to write, edit, and save your post first on your Think account. Copy and paste it into the blog.

Think back to last week and our discussion about what makes a great blog post. You get to decide what is your best post, the one from last week or this week.

72 thoughts on “Are We Alone?

1. “ARE WE ALONE”

I don’t think that we are alone, I think there is life on other planets. I think there is life on other planets because, there are so many planet there is know way possible that I or any one else could count them, chances are there is life on at least one of other planet probably more. It seems to me like the scientist take the whole life on another planet thing very seriously because they are so determent to find life on another planet. I know there determent because they wouldn’t try if they weren’t. I think any thing can happen I mean hey I’m here today right so why can there be life on another planet. Who knows maybe there something out there thats alive and doesn’t need air, but you just never know.

2. I think that we might or might not be alone in the universe. My first reason for that we might not be alone is that there are so many planets and galaxies that there is a chance that there is another planet that has life forms. Also that scientists have discovered that there is ice on some planets.My first reason that we might be alone is that there isn’t a big chance that there is another planet just like ours from the atmosphere to the distance to the sun. Also if you think of it from a religious view that in the Bible there is no reference to there being another planet with life forms.

3. I had thought that in other solar syestems there would be planets like ours. I had thought that mostly because all the stars are suns, so there must have planets relatively the same size and distans form the sun as earth is. I found in the article what I thought was back up bye NASA. I found out that these planets that are simlalar to our own are called Supper Earths.
    I wounder if there is life on any planets in our galexey I do not nesaseraly mean humans as much life in genaral?
    Over all I liked the article and found it quite interesting.

4. No we are not alone. Although we have not proven it yet. Somewhere out there on a planet far far away is full of aliens. They are probably asking the same question ”Are We Alone”? Until we have the technology to answer that question we will never know if it is true of not. How will we know if we should find out because that could be a bad thing for us and our planet that we call home.

5. I think life maybe possible on other planets. For one reason are telescopes can only see so far and we don’t know if there is an edge to the universe let alone other life on planets so maybe. Are robot rovers that we send out to take pictures can only go so far until we lose contact with it. with all the space in the universe that’s a thing that there could be more than two or three other species in space you never know. for it to look anything like us it would had to of lived in the same climate conditions as us so ya. if we really did find anything it would probably not look anything like us but that’s what i think. There is a lot of very cool stuff in the universe and we have only seen a tiny part of it full of stuff that scatters the human mind.

6. Are we alone, the topic has sent people wondering for years, in that time, hundreds of different ideas have surfaced. We are, Were not, Were more advanced than other possible races, Were less advanced than other possible races. Heck, there’s even the multiverse theory. But based on this article, i’d have to say that the answer still remains unclear. It is true that there are tons of planets out there in the dark depths of space, but how many are as close to the big blue marble that actually has a record of life. Even more if we do find another planet with life, so what. Maybe the news will just become a front page of a newspaper. The only thing for sure right now, there are other planets, how many have life, is a question that still needs an answer.

7. I do not think that we are alone. Our universe is so vast that it will take years, or even centuries to discover everything that may exist out there. Somewhere I believe that another planet is just far away and just close enough to it’s star, and very close to the size of earth, so that it could support life. I don’t know if we will discover other life forms while I am alive, because we haven’t even finished exploring our own solar system. I do believe that as technology advances, we will discover that other lives exist, or once existed, and we may even discover that life may have existed in other planets in our solar system. Already discovered have been other planets very similar to earth, and with more clues, and a visit off in the future to one of those planets will prove that there are other life forms and we will discover a habitable planet other than earth. If our own earth can provide the things we need to survive for so long, the why couldn’t there be another “earth” making a habitat for other life? I believe that that other earth does exist, and someday, we will find it.

8. I think there could be a another planet out there with living species on it. They have found water on planets before so anything could happen. Living things need water. I think they could be like us or they could look opposite of us. Scientists do not have the technology to find a planet with living species on it but that doesn’t mean that life doesn’t exist on other planets.

9. i posted this on time but i guess it didn’t work

The possibility that there is life other than here on Earth is the strangest idea–the fact that maybe there are other people out there, living their own lives and studying the same universe…that thought can really drive me crazy.
    If we ever did find a planet like ours, I wonder what it would be like, what the people would be like, if it even looked like Earth at all. At the moment, there could be “people,” in different planets, in different galaxies who are thinking about the same things we are right now–what/who else is out there? When/If we discover and can find a way to get to Earth-like planets, they could prove very helpful. They would provide a place to go when pollution gets so bad that Earth can’t support life, or when the population grows so much that there is no longer enough room here on Earth. It would be a place to help us restart–we would know what to do, and what not to do because of the mistakes we made here on Earth.
    I honestly believe that there are other planets with life on them somewhere out there. If we ever find them…well I don’t know about that. But maybe by now they’re so advanced…they’ll find us.

10. Are we alone in this planet? The answer to that is probably not concidering water was found and not on this planet. Also there is no way that we are the only planet with living things on it. There are probably no humans or animals living on other planets but there might be creatures and who knows mabey aliens really do exist.So the anwser to the question is no we are not alone.

11. Are we alone
    1/13/10
    No I don’t think that we are alone I think that there are aleins out there and or there is another would out there were there are pepol on it that are thinking of the same questin.

12. I think that we are alone in our galaxy. I think that maybe in a different galaxy that there might be aliens. Only I do not really know if there could be life on mars. I think that maybe because there has been water. So I really do not think we are alone.

13. I think that there is life out in the universe, outside of our galaxy. Sometimes I wonder if their is life beyond our comprehension, floating in the air around us or living beneath the surface of planets we still have not discovered. I don’t think science makes life limited to what we can discover, and I believe that there is life on other planets so different from ours that we could look it face on and not see it clearly. So yes, I think that we are not alone.

14. Are We Alone
    I don’t think we are alone. We will not find them because if we have the technology to find planets in space we should be able to finish searching our planet because we cant find certain locations on our planet. Also if we dont know our planet how are we to discover other planets.

15. We are not alone. It is as simple as that. If are planet is the perfect distance from the sun to house life then who says that can’t happen anywhere else in the world. Our solar system is a vast, for ever expanding landscape that has untold amounts of stars, planets, and solar systems. Many of those solar systems must have life wondering the same thing we are. There have been planets found to be exactly like earth. Who is to say hey haven’t harbored life at one point or another

16. I think that we are alone in this universe because if we weren’t then why haven’t we gotten any response from all of our readings sent out into space and other galaxy’s.? If we are trying to find other “earths” why are we trying to find other Earths we when still need to help our Earth. If the earth isn’t doing so well then why don’t we work on helping our earth revive its self. I also wonder how are we seeing all these tiny little planets that circle around 150 year old stars? I wonder how all those transiting planets that are about 70% bigger than earth orbit around little stars sometimes?

17. Are we alone?

I do not think that we are alone. To imagine how big the universe is and have only 1 planet have life-forms on it is really slim chances. I think there are definitely not alone. We have been searching for aliens for a really long time, but space is endless and that means that if we keep searching something will be found eventually. Maybe not in our lifetime, but in a few hundred years we will find an alien or something proving to us that there is other organisms out there. Right now, our technology isn’t strong enough to detect alien life forms, but in a few hundred years it will be.

18. I don’t think we are alone in the universe. There are so manny planets,suns,moons and possibilities. For all we know there could be a parallel universe, or we could be looking at it in the wrong way and the universe is just a big time line that goes on forever. There are an endless amount of possibilities and no matter how manny times we fail to find the answers to the possibilities. We will always find another way and try again. So I do think there is life out there somewhere and maybe someday we’ll find it. All we can do is hope,work hard, and keep on trying. Who knows it could be closer than we think.

19. Are we alone?

No I don’t think we are alone. There has to be someone else out there. Someone or something smarter. Although it would be a little scary if there was someone/something other than what is on earth. There’s a saying ” There’s always a bigger fish “.

20. I think that we are not alone because there are other galexesys that are like ours. There could be other living thing out there that we have not descoverd and probably wont.

21. Humans are never going to be able to answer this question but i do believe that we are not alone. The universe is huge with a billion stars and 8 planets that we now of. There could be living things on other planets that we don’t now of that live in different ways.

22. I think that we are not alone, because astrologers have found other planets that might contain life. For example, astrologers have found more than 370 “exoplanets” that might include life, but it revolves around a star. But, in order for those “exoplanets” to contain life, it has to be just like earth, otherwise life wouldn’t exist. The article says the most promising planet other than earth is Gliese 581 d. They don’t know if life exists on that planet, but maybe it will. Hopefully, with more thinking, we just might have a planet just like ours someday!